20.2.10

My New Guitar or: Look at Me, I Can Play a G Chord

See? I told you.

Lately, I've been listening to a lot of blues and watched a documentary called It Might Get Loud, which is an interesting take on rock music through the eyes (or ears) of three amazing guitarists: The Edge from U2, Jimmy Page from Led Zeppelin, and Jack White from The White Stripes. The concept alone drew me in since they each represent different generations of rock music. Indeed it was interesting. It was really something to see and hear how these guys grew as musicians, and then watch them improvise The Band's "The Weight" over the ending credits. Jack White especially made an impression on me. He emphasized that learning and playing the guitar should be a struggle, as evidenced, among other things, by his desire to play old and/or crappy instruments. Plus, he introduced me to blues musician Son House.

Jack White's favorite song. It's astoundingly simple and ironically features no guitar.

All of that led me to my renewed interest in playing the guitar. I say "renewed" because my background as a "guitarist" began when I was 8 (?) years old. My parents took me to Alamo Music, and I ended up with a 3/4 size classical guitar. Briefly, I took lessons. I honestly don't know what led to this. Aside from the car radio, I didn't listen to music. I don't think my parents pushed me to play since music really isn't much a part of their lives as it is now in mine. Example: they probably have about 15-20 CDs between them, most of which were gifts from me; I own over 200, and my computer tells me that I have over 11,000 songs. Anyway, that stint didn't last long.

Fast forward to when I was 14. By this time, I was mostly listening to classic rock, which, in case you don't know, heavily employs the electric guitar. I thought it would be fun to learn, so my parents bought a Fender Starcaster & amp for me from Costco. I didn't take any lessons this time around, but probably should have. I needed guidance. I needed someone to tell me what Jack White told me, but I wasn't really serious about it and thought it would be a breeze. The guitar eventually became just another toy collecting dust.

Back to the present. Music continues to have an increasing influence on my life, and I can't say what that means for the future. Nevertheless, I decided about a week ago that I wanted to return to the guitar, and this time it would be a full sized metal-stringed acoustic. I began searching on craigslist and ebay without much success at first. I had no responses from craigslist ads, and people would outbid me on ebay since I had decided not to pay more than $65. However, I eventually got an email response on craigslist from a guy named Joe whom I assumed had already sold his guitar. He said he didn't want to lower his price, but wasn't lucky with his responses, and my price was the best offer he had gotten. So, here I am with my Takamine S35 Jasmine. It had no nicks or scratches to speak of until I bumped it on a rock walking back into my apartment. WHY?? I don't even know why I was carrying it that low. The rock was large, but not like a boulder. Anyway, one small nick aside, it really is a nice guitar and was a steal for $65. I love the damn thing. I think she needs a name, but I think the dirty bitch needs to earn it.

Jimmy Page said I could caress my guitar like a woman. Um, how am I doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment